Followers

Saturday, July 13, 2019

"Wow! Hotel Doctors Charge That Much?"


Guests don’t say that. Mostly I hear: “Could I talk to my husband and call you back.…..?”

Unlike the competition, I don’t confine myself to upscale hotels. Plenty of Holiday Inns, Ramadas, and motels call, and I quote fees less than the going rate. Colleagues complain but admit that it’s not a competitive advantage because hotels don’t care what the doctor charges. Still, counting driving time, a hotel visit rarely takes less than an hour, so it’s not cheap.

Helpless in a strange country and forewarned that medical care in America requires vast sums, foreign guests are easier to deal with.

America medical insurance takes a dim view of housecalls. No hotel doctor accepts it, so Americans, already disoriented at finding a doctor willing to make a housecall, learn that they must pay out of their pocket. It’s a shock.

Like all doctors, I like to present myself as a humanitarian, and I often reduce my fee if the guest feels too miserable to leave the room, but mostly, when Americans object, I send them to an urgent care clinic.

Walking through a clinic door costs around $100. While this is much less than a housecall, clinics charge extra for tests, procedures, shots, and supplies, and the patient must find a pharmacy and then pay for the prescription. I don’t charge extra for anything. Telling all this to guests sounds too much like a sales pitch, so I simply send them to a clinic. Insurance might pay part of their bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment