Followers

Tuesday, May 14, 2019

A Message From a Stranger


“A guest would like to meet you at 4:15 in the lobby.”

The caller was a concierge at the L.A. Hotel.

“Is that all?”

“I’m sorry, Doctor Oppenheim. The guest just made the request and walked off.”

This really happened a few years ago. Doesn’t it sound like a bad novel? Retired CIA agent, Skip Oppenheim gets a message from a mysterious stranger as he unwinds at a luxurious hotel. The adventure begins.

As a hotel doctor, I am allergic to adventures. Sick guests rarely schedule a consultation in a public place. Most likely he had a request. I prefer to handle these over the phone at no charge. This is good P.R. but it’s also self-defense. If I travel to the hotel, and the guest makes a request I have to refuse, the consequences may not be life-threatening but they are not pleasant. Also, it’s hard to collect my fee.

“I don’t make appointments without talking to the guest first. Do you have his number?”

“I’m afraid not.”

“Have him call when he gets back. I’m sure we can work out something.”

The concierge agreed. Sadly for this post, there is no punch line. I never heard from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment