Followers

Sunday, December 9, 2018

More Guests I Didn't Help


A travel insurer asked me to see nine sick hotel guests. My first thought was food poisoning, but their symptoms turned out to be coughing and sore throat.

I love multiple visits at the same hotel, but I wouldn’t love these. I visualized the scenario: a large group arrives for an expensive vacation where many fall ill, and in America you need a prescription for an antibiotic. Luckily, they tell themselves, we have travel insurance. The doctor will come and give us our Amoxicillin, and we’ll be fine.

My philosophy on antibiotics is that I prescribe them if they’ll help, and I don’t prescribe them if they won’t. This puts me at odds with doctors around the world not excluding the US.

When I see victims of a respiratory infections (fifteen percent of a family doctor’s business) I do my best. Almost all seem satisfied, but a few make it clear that I have failed them.

Luckily, there was a nearby walk-in clinic where these guests would get their antibiotics.

No comments:

Post a Comment