Followers

Saturday, August 10, 2019

Paramedics Versus Doctors


My personal encounter with paramedics occurred the day I fell (ironically during my morning health walk) and broke my leg. I might have lain there for some time because pedestrians in my middle-class neighborhood pay little attention to the occasional bearded old man lounging on the sidewalk. Luckily, I had taken a detour through an alley behind a restaurant where two Hispanic workers noticed and came to my aid.

I was not in great pain as long as the leg remained immobile. Any movement hurt terribly. When the paramedics approached with their gurney, I was frightened, but they scooped me up, drove to a hospital, and shifted me to another gurney with hardly a twinge. Never mind their medical skills; that showed talent.

While I admire paramedics, they have little use for me in my capacity as a hotel doctor. Paramedics almost never encounter a physician on their calls, and they don’t like it when they do. Most likely, they worry he might pull rank. As a result, when paramedics arrive at my hotels, I sit quietly, never speaking unless spoken to. In turn, they go about their business, pretending I’m not there.

No comments:

Post a Comment