Followers

Friday, September 28, 2018

Cheating


“Could you put my name on the bill?” asked a guest. “I have insurance for this trip, but my girl friend doesn’t.”

“I’m afraid that’s illegal,” I answered. I’m not sure that was true, but it seemed a painless way to decline. The guest didn’t seem offended. From his point of view, there was no harm in trying.

Guests occasionally ask me to cheat on their insurance. A carrier once called to question a charge of several thousand dollars. It turned out the guest had penciled in a zero when he submitted the bill.

People are more likely to cheat if there’s no chance of getting caught. I still remember my anger when, thirty years ago, I witnessed someone put a quarter into a newspaper dispenser, open the cover, pull out a newspaper and then pull out several more to give to friends. These dispensers are stocked by an independent vendor who buys the papers himself. I informed the man who hurried off, less concerned about his thievery than this stranger abusing him.

No comments:

Post a Comment