Followers

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Passing the Word


The Kyoto Grand is a large hotel in downtown Los Angeles that hosts many Japanese. Insurers send me every few months, but the hotel never calls.

One of the staff accompanied me to the room to interpret. After the visit, I described my services. He responded that the hotel had a doctor who practiced in nearby Little Tokyo. I pointed out that this doctor was undoubtedly reluctant to make a housecall during office hours and not eager to come at inconvenient times. The employee shrugged, accepted my business card, and promised to keep me in mind.

That same day my phone rang. It was the employee informing me that another guest needed my services. Naturally, I was delighted, and I drove back downtown to care for a guest with an upset stomach.

You might think I am now the doctor for the Kyoto Grand, but this happened long ago, and no calls have arrived since. While the employee may have lost the card, it’s also likely he neglected to tell anyone else about me. A dozen Los Angeles hotels call rarely because only a single employee knows me. Now and then the news gets around, and the hotel becomes a regular, but I have never figured out how to persuade someone to pass the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment