Followers

Sunday, December 27, 2020

More Evidence of America's Leadership

 Opening an envelope from an international travel insurer, I expected a check but found only a form letter containing a dozen boxes, each listing a reason why payment was denied. An “X” through one box revealed that I had not submitted my invoice on an HCFA-1500.

That’s the claim form American doctors send to American health insurers. It’s complex, full of codes, questions, boxes, and charges – far longer than my simple invoice. Despite this, it’s badly organized. One must enter today’s date three times.

I found an HCFA form and filled it out, leaving many cryptic questions blank, guessing answers where I wasn’t certain, and including a fictional breakdown of services because I charge a flat fee. An American insurance clerk would post it on the office bulletin board for general amusement.

Two weeks later, a check arrived. Foreign insurers are not up to speed, but they’re trying.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment