Followers

Tuesday, February 11, 2020

I Was Once America's Leading Writer of Health Articles


I still hold the record for Woman’s Day – about 35 articles. I stopped as I reached middle-age in the 1990s in favor of a yearning to write literature. Don’t expect a plug for my fiction. It’s been published, but you have to look hard to find it. You can hear one of my plays (a reading, not a performance) on February 25. Google Cincinnati Playwrights Initiative for details.

Mass-market health articles deliver positive, uplifting information. Editors have no interest in controversy, muckraking, entertaining anecdotes, or the writer’s personal experience – the sort of material you find in my blog.

I knew this, but I sometimes couldn’t resist.

Media doctors love to warn of hidden dangers, ominous symptoms, and important information would make you healthier if you only knew about it.  

Readers learn that they can become superhealthy. In other words, if they are doing everything right, they can do even more – eat “superfoods,” “boost” their immune system, and fend off aging. It’s possible a super-healthy life-style can reduce a nine month pregnancy to seven months.

Media doctors insist that a positive attitude cures disease. To heal, you must fervently want to heal. I call that the “be happy or die” approach.

I wanted to do something different – tell readers of things they don’t need to worry about and things that are supposed to make them healthier but don’t. Green mucus, yellow diarrhea, smelly urine, sharp chest pains, and white spots on tonsils rarely require urgent action and often no action at all. Patients worry that a headache means their blood pressure is high, fatigue that their blood pressure is low, and that their third cold of the year means that their immune system is weak. All not true.

Editors hated this.

“Readers look up to us”, they said. “Why should we tell them that our other doctors are wrong?” they asked.

“We never tell a reader not to worry,” they added. “If she follows your advice, and something bad happens, she will blame you. And us.” 

Those articles remain unpublished. They never came close.

No comments:

Post a Comment