Followers

Monday, January 6, 2020

"Uno Momento..."


As I was brushing my teeth one night, the phone rang for a housecall in Torrance, twenty miles distant.

Traffic was no problem, and Google maps guided me to the correct address which turned out to be a massive apartment complex behind high walls. Now and then I drove past a locked gate with no guard and no evidence that it was the correct entrance. I phoned.

The patient’s husband answered. He was Italian and spoke rudimentary English, and his efforts to direct me were incomprehensible.

“Uno momento…” There followed several minutes of silence. Just before I decided he had hung up, he came on the line and resumed his unintelligible instructions. Then my headlights illuminated a distant figure in the middle of the deserted street waving a flashlight.

He guided me to a gate, punched the code to open it, and directed me to visitor’s parking. I followed him through a maze of sidewalks to the correct building. After I cared for his wife, he guided me back to my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment