Followers

Monday, November 11, 2019

Lost on Campus


It was after nine when I left for Long Beach, thirty miles away. Freeway traffic moved swiftly; the patient was a sixteen year-old with a sore throat, usually an easy visit.

Google maps guided me to 1250 Bellflower Boulevard which was the student union of California State University in Long Beach. That also turned out to be the address of the university. The student union was deserted. It was the summer break. I left messages at a phone number that may or may not have been the patient’s.

A couple walking nearby pointed me in the direction of distant residence halls which, when I arrived, seemed endless. I phoned the travel insurer who had sent me. The dispatcher managed to contact the patient in her room and then passed on her directions. She was not familiar with the campus, so these were unhelpful. It took persistence, but I convinced the dispatcher that, since the patient was an adolescent, she was undoubtedly part of a group with a group leader.

The patient agreed that such a person existed and went off to find him. After a considerable delay he came on the line, determined my location, and talked me through a complex warren of streets to the proper building. As usual, delivering medical care was the easiest part.

No comments:

Post a Comment