Followers

Monday, October 14, 2019

It Never Hurts to Check


Universal Assistance asked me to visit a sick Costa Rican in Downy, a suburb of Los Angeles about thirty miles distant.

She gave the hotel address: 9640 Bell Avenue.

“Is that B – e – l – l?” I asked, spelling it out because English is never the native language of travel insurance dispatchers.

“Yes,” she said.

On Google maps (“29.4 miles; 39 minutes”), that address turned up in an adjacent city five miles away but not Downy itself. My first instinct was to accept it. As a visitor, the Costa Rican was unfamiliar with local geography. But several unhappy experiences persuaded me that it never hurts to check. 

“Not ‘Bell,’ said the desk clerk when I phoned. “It’s B – u – e – l – l.  Buell.”  Google found it in Downy.

No comments:

Post a Comment