Followers

Sunday, February 3, 2019

Isn't Science Wonderful!


“He has pus on his tonsils, so it’s probably strep,” said a guest, calling about her teenage son. I hear this phrase regularly. It causes me some stress because I know that later I might find myself delivering a why-antibiotics-won’t-help explanation to a sullen audience. 

One popular (i.e. wrong) medical belief is that pus on tonsils is a sign of strep throat. In fact, this is true only about ten percent of the time. Viral infections produce identical exudates.

Arriving in the room, I discovered that the boy had pus on his tonsils but also a fever, swollen, painful glands in his neck, and no cough. Good scientific studies show that the presence of these four signs: pus on tonsils, fever, swollen neck glands, and NO cough raise the odds of strep to over fifty percent, so prescribing an antibiotic is appropriate. I prescribed an antibiotic. The family made it clear they were in the presence of a doctor who knew his business.

Isn’t science wonderful? It is. But it’s wonderful in ways that are often not satisfying. More in my next post.

1 comment: