Followers

Sunday, January 7, 2018

Worry, Part 2


I drove to the Magic hotel in Hollywood where a Danish couple’s 18 month-old was vomiting. He looked fine, and looking is essential:  sick children look sick. Nothing abnormal turned up on an exam, so my diagnosis was a common stomach virus. I told the parents it might last a few days and gave the usual dietary advice.

I check on patients before going to bed, but the Danish parents beat me to it. The child had vomited once again, they reported. He was still in no distress, so I told them it was OK to wait.

My assurance was proper, but patients occasionally deliver unpleasant surprises, so I worried a little as I went to bed.

I phoned the Danes the following day to learn that the child hadn’t vomited but was now feverish. This was to be expected, I explained, and I approved their decision to give Tylenol.

The Danish child was still feverish, his parents reported the next day, and now he had diarrhea. I gave dietary advice.

There was no answer the following morning. From the front desk I learned that they had checked out. I had just returned from seeing a young man with abdominal pain at a youth hostel. He was worried about appendicitis; my exam made that unlikely. Since he had no health insurance, I did not want to make my life easier by sending him to an emergency room where a workup including CT scans would run to about $5,000. His symptoms hadn’t improved when I called, but they still didn’t seem like appendicitis. He promised to phone if there was any change. I worried a little as I went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment