Followers

Thursday, January 11, 2018

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished


An Austrian lady had left home without her medication. Could I come and write some prescriptions?

These requests arrive regularly. In the past, I offered to phone a pharmacy, but this took a long time as guests scrambled to find the name, dose, and instructions. Nowadays I tell them to go to a pharmacy, explain exactly what they need, and give my number. I would approve over the phone.

Guests are pleased that it is so simple and more pleased to learn that I don’t charge for this.

Later, a caller explained that he was the tour leader for an Austrian group. “You gave a prescription for one of our members. Could you tell me where is the pharmacy?”

The lady’s English was poor, so she had misheard me. I repeated that the guest had to go to the pharmacy and describe precisely what she needed. An hour later, I answered another call from the tour leader. He was at a pharmacy near the hotel; he had given the names of the lady’s medication, but they had refused to accept them. Again, I explained that the lady had to tell the pharmacist precisely what she needed.

An hour later, a pharmacist informed me that a foreign customer was requesting several medications. He wanted to know the dose and instructions. I told him that he would have to get this information from the guest.

Several hours passed before the pharmacy called again because the lady had had to phone her doctor in Austria. One of her drugs was not available in the US. What would I advise?... I had no idea but suggested that he probably knew an equivalent. After some research, he found one and called back. I agreed with his suggestion.

Don’t forget to pack your pills.

No comments:

Post a Comment