Followers

Monday, June 4, 2018

Addicted to Gratitude


“You saw me at the Marriott yesterday. I still don’t feel good.”

“I’m sorry,” I said. “I did mention that you’d be under the weather a few days.”

“I still have a temperature. The Tylenol only works a few hours. The cough medicine isn’t doing much. I need something stronger.”

“I would love to make you better, but, as I explained, there’s no cure for these respiratory viruses.”

“What if it’s bronchitis? My doctor tells me I have a lot of bronchitis.”

“‘Bronchitis’ is just another word for coughing. It’s a virus that runs its course.”

“I guess I just have to be sick. Thank you, Doctor Oppenheim,” she said before hanging up. There was sarcasm in her tone. I felt bad.

I also felt a surge of anger at my fellow doctors, most of whom prescribe antibiotics for viral infections. No doctor believes they work, but prescribing them guarantees a patient’s gratitude; doctors are addicted to your gratitude. 

My practice is to prescribe antibiotics when they’ll help and to not prescribe them when they won’t except when it’s clear that the patient will blow his top if I don’t. This turns out to work pretty well. About ninety percent of patients seem genuinely grateful. Most of the remainder are dissatisfied, but they remember their manners. Perhaps one percent make it clear that I have failed them.

No comments:

Post a Comment