Followers

Saturday, December 12, 2015

No American Would Have Such Good Insurance


Hearing a Hispanic accent, I assumed the caller was a travel insurer, and I was right. Standby M.D is one of the good agencies. It phones; I make the visit; I fax an invoice; it sends a check. Latin Americans make up most of my travel insurance patients.

A guest at the Sheraton had been awake all night with an earache. The call arrived at 4:30 a.m., but that’s almost my waking time. Freeway traffic was light. I arrived at his room in half an hour.

One thing seemed strange. His name sounded American, but this is not rare in many Latin American countries. But he also looked American and spoke American English. He told me his pain began soon after he boarded a plane in Managua.

“So you live in Nicaragua?” I asked.

“No. Vancouver,” he said.

The light dawned.

“Of course,” I added. “You’re Canadian. No American would have such good insurance.”   

No comments:

Post a Comment