Followers

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Another Arab Prince


It seemed a routine visit for an upset stomach until I knocked at what turned out to be the penthouse suite of a Beverly Hills hotel. The man who answered identified himself as “the prince’s personal assistant.” I followed him into another large room where the prince, an elderly Saudi, lay in bed. It was five in the morning.

The assistant indicated the patient – not the prince but a young woman sitting nearby, looking wan. I took her into another room to deliver my care. She was an American in her twenties, and I wondered why she was in the prince’s room at this hour. Perhaps she was a prostitute, but she seemed nice. 

When I returned to the bedroom, the prince thanked me for coming, adding that he had a personal problem. He suffered crippling back pain and had run out of medication. Could I help? As we talked, I noticed the assistant waggling his finger in a gesture indicating that I should not pursue the matter. I took the hint.

Accompanying me to the elevator, the assistant explained that everyone preferred that the prince’s doctor handle the prince’s drugs. Then he paid me with a sheaf of hundred dollar bills. Later I counted ten.

Most Arabs that I see are ordinary people, but over thirty years the occasional prince turns up. They tip heavily and provide material for this blog, but so far every experience has been uncomfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment