Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A Stressful Life

I’m running low on ondansetron, the best antinausea pill. Upset stomachs are the second most common ailment in a hotel doctor’s practice, and I’ve been seeing more than usual.

Unfortunately, I’m not low on many other supplies. I buy through an internet pharmaceutical company that charges a fat handling fee for orders under $150. Eight bottles of ondansetron, 240 pills, will cost $32. I could use more tongue depressors, but 500 at $6.50 is not much help. I dispense large quantities of lidocaine gargle for sore throats and cough medicine, and my bottle of 500 doxycycline antibiotic capsules is half empty; stocking up would help but medicines have expiration dates, so one must be careful.

Recently, after thirty years, my blood pressure cuff broke, but at some time in the past I’d bought a spare. Should I buy another? Will I be practicing when I’m 103?....

One of my boasts is that, unlike other hotel doctors, the fee I announce is the fee I collect. I don’t charge extra for anything. It turns out that pills and injectables for common ailments are so cheap that I struggle to assemble an order exceeding $150. Do I have your sympathy?

2 comments:

  1. ondansetron drug prevention of nausea and vomiting associated with highly emetogenic cancer chemotherapy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the official PDR and FDA package insert, but since it's gone off patent it's gotten much cheaper, and all the doctors I know use it as the treatment of choice for nausea and vomiting. It's also safer than the phenothiazines.

      Delete